Saturday 25 October 2014

Response from the Lib Dem London Assembly Members

Caroline Pidgeon AM has responded to our concerns about Canary Wharf's lobbying on behalf of the Liberal Democrat London Assembly Members.

This is the third response and follows emails from Murad Qureshi AM (Labour) and Darren Johnson AM  on behalf of the Green Assembly Members. We hope we will hear from the Conservative AMs soon.

Caroline's response:

Thank you for your email about cycling infrastructure in London. I am responding on behalf of myself and Stephen Knight AM, Liberal Democrat Assembly Members. 
I agree that we urgently need safe, segregated cycling provision, and I strongly support the planned North-South and East-West superhighways. They are extremely ambitious, and crucially they provide segregated space for cycling across the city through what are currently some of the most dangerous junctions. It is a tragedy that another cyclist has been killed at one of these junctions while this debate continues. 
I share your concerns over the lobbying activities of Canary Wharf Group, and I have raised the issue of potential conflicts of interest with the Mayor. You can read my question here: http://questions.london.gov.uk/QuestionSearch/searchclient/questions/question_277710 
I also raised the issue of needing to tackle these vested interests at a cycling fringe meeting recently. To hear this and my views on cycling in London more broadly you can listen to my speech here: https://soundcloud.com/aldcuk/making-space-for-cycling (from 24m 45s).
I do understand concerns about the composition of the TfL board that have also been raised, and I am happy to raise the issue of greater cycling and pedestrian representation in the future. 
I would like to assure you that the London Assembly Liberal Democrats are firmly in favour of space for cycling, and we will continue to campaign to make sure these projects are completed without being scaled back or watered down. 
Thank you once again for getting in touch. 
Kind regards, 

Caroline

Caroline Pidgeon MBE AM
Leader of the Liberal Democrat Group
Chair Transport Committee
Deputy Chair Police and Crime Committee
www.carolinepidgeon.org

No comments:

Post a Comment